Report a Warranty Claim

We're here to help

Making a Home Warranty Claim

In order to make a claim, the Owner must provide written notice to both Travelers Canada and the builder. Travelers Canada must receive a written claim notice within the applicable time limits established by the warranty (refer to your Home Warranty Certificate for details). Please use the links below to submit a claim.

Home Warranty Claim Contact Information for All Provinces:
Toll-free Claim: 1-800-661-5522
Fax: 1-866-777-7889
Mail/Courier/Delivery: 1275 North Service Road, 2nd Floor, Oakville, Ontario L6M 3M3

Please be sure to specify, in as much detail as possible, the exact nature and location of each claim item. You should also provide any relevant supporting documents and pictures or additional information regarding your claim that you think will assist Travelers Canada in the claims process. Please note that your claim notice must be received by Travelers Canada before the expiry of the applicable warranty period. Simply posting it in the mail before the applicable warranty expires will not suffice.

Review key documentation before making a claim

When considering whether to make a claim, you should review the HPO Residential Construction Performance Guide that outlines the minimum standards for most of the materials and labour of particular components of a new home.

Travelers Canada recommends that you also review Section D of your Home Warranty Certificate, which lists the various exclusions to the home warranty coverage. Homeowners commonly assume that the following items are covered when, in fact, they are exclusions, which are not covered under the warranty:

  • Normal shrinkage of materials caused by drying after construction (such as minor drywall cracks and nail pops)
  • Landscaping (including plants, fencing, and detached structures)
  • Subsidence of the land around a home (with certain limited exceptions)
  • Site grading and surface drainage (except as required by the BC Building Code)
  • Damage to personal property or real property not considered part of the new home supplied by the builder

Home warranty coverage also does not cover matters considered contractual in nature between you and your builder.

If making a strata unit claim

If you are the owner of a strata unit, please keep in mind that your strata corporation must advance all claims related to common property (such as exterior siding or windows) or limited common property (such as an exterior deck), under the applicable common property warranty. In these cases, you should notify your strata council of your concerns (either directly or through the property manager), so a claim can be advanced on your behalf. Travelers Canada cannot accept common property claims advanced by a unit owner.

The Claims Process

Once a claim in received by Travelers Canada, Travelers is required to investigate that claim and confirm if coverage is available.

Initially, Travelers Canada will ask the builder to make a reasonable effort to address your concerns. This is done because your builder is most familiar with your home and how it was constructed, and, usually, most claims are resolved at that stage. If you are not satisfied with the builder's response to your claim, you can request a formal claims inspection by a Travelers Canada representative.

Once Travelers Canada receives an inspection request, we will contact you and the builder to arrange a convenient time for the claims inspection. After conducting the claims inspection (and any additional investigations deemed necessary), Travelers Canada will issue a Claims Adjustment Report confirming which claim items, if any, are covered under the warranty.

Travelers will then ensure action is taken on all covered claim items. Please keep in mind that once Travelers has confirmed that a claim is covered, and as long as you are provided with sufficient advance notice, you are obliged to provide the builder or a contractor appointed by Travelers access to your home at all reasonable times to undertake those repairs.

Once repairs are completed, Travelers Canada provides a warranty on those repairs until the later of: a) the first-year anniversary of the date of completion of the repairs; or, b) the expiry of the applicable warranty coverage.

If you have any questions or concerns regarding the Travelers Canada claims process, please do not hesitate to contact a member of our Home Warranty Claims Department.


In the event a dispute arises under the home warranty insurance between you and Travelers that cannot be resolved by informal negotiation within a reasonable period of time, you may require that the dispute be referred to mediation by delivering to Travelers a written request to mediate. Travelers Canada is then required to attend a mediation session, where we would attempt to settle the dispute with the assistance of a trained mediator, facilitating the mediation process.

Please be aware that the mediator does not have the authority to render a decision, like a judge or arbitrator. The mediator's role is to assist the parties in their efforts to settle the matter. The cost of mediation is shared between you and Travelers. Refer to Section J of the 2-5-10 Year Home Warranty Certificate for more information about the mediation process.

Reporting a home warranty claim?

Contact us >