Things to consider when selecting your insurance coverage

Together with your broker, we are committed to providing you with the insurance products and services you are looking for today and tomorrow as your needs change.

In Ontario, it is possible to tailor your car insurance to your needs and the needs of your family. Consider these questions when selecting your optional benefit options.

What role does OHIP play?

The Ontario Health Insurance Plan (OHIP) covers basic medical and emergency care for residents of Ontario, but it will not cover (or only partially cover) all expenses such as eye and dental care, cosmetic surgery, mobility aids, and generally services that are not considered to be medically necessary.

For full details on OHIP, including its coverages and exclusions, visit the Ontario Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care’s website.

Do you live in the city?

In big cities, costs of services such as physiotherapy or caregiving may be higher than in rural areas of the province. If you live in Toronto or Ottawa, for example, you may want to consider increased coverage.

Where do you drive, and how often are you in a car?

If you often drive on 400-series highways, you’re more likely to be in a car accident than someone who drives just as often on less busy roads. Similarly, your likelihood of being in a car accident is directly related to how often you drive: If you drive often, you are much more likely to be in an accident over someone who rarely gets into a car. If you drive on 400-series highways often, you may want to consider increased coverage.

Have you considered any benefits you might receive from school or work?

If you have benefits from your place of employment or college/university, you may already have some level of coverage for some or all of the expenses you may need. Speak with your insurance broker for more information.

Are there people in your life who depend on you, either financially or for care?

If you have children or dependants, be aware of what benefits will provide coverage for their care and wellbeing (including OHIP, employer/school benefits, and your car insurance). If you are married or have been married, you should also understand your spouse or ex-spouse’s coverages.

Do you own a business? Are you self-employed, or do you drive as part of your job?

If you answer yes to any of the above, you may either need commercial auto insurance coverage for your business vehicles or be covered by your employer’s commercial auto insurance. These insurance policies are often specific to the needs of the business in question, with details that differ from those discussed elsewhere in this section.

For more information or to discuss your coverage options, contact your insurance broker.