Frequently Asked Questions

Answers to our most frequently asked questions after a claim

What do I do if I have a car accident?
First and foremost, be careful. Many injuries occur when people exit their vehicles on busy streets and are struck by other vehicles. If an accident occurs, make the welfare of your family and others involved in the accident your first priority.

Who should I talk to at the accident site?
Cooperate fully with the police. Feel free to inquire as to the well being of anyone involved in the accident. You shouldn't discuss responsibility for the accident with anyone except the investigating officer.

What if the police want to tow my car?
The police have the right to impound your car. If they do, it will be taken to a locked compound. Tow truck drivers may suggest they take your car to a specific repair facility. This may not be in your best interest. The tow truck driver may be getting a commission from the repair facility if your car is taken there. You have the right to direct them to take your car to any shop or location. The choice is yours! We may reimburse any reasonable expense incurred, depending on your vehicle coverage. Collision Reporting Centres* offer 24-hour free storage for any vehicle dropped off following an accident. We also suggest that you not sign any document related to the repair of your vehicle until you have had a chance to assess your options. At a minimum, carefully read any document you are asked to sign.

*Collision Reporting Centres are located in various communities in Ontario and Alberta.

What information should I get from the police or the other driver?
Often the investigating officer will give you a copy of the accident report. If not, be sure to take down the following information: 

  • names, addresses, phone numbers and driver’s licence numbers of all drivers and witnesses
  • description, plate number and insurance information of the other vehicle(s)
  • names of the streets
  • time of the accident
  • investigating officer's name, force and badge number

How do I report a claim?
Contact your local Travelers Canada office to report a claim. Click here for more information.

What information do I need to report my claim?
The information needed will depend on the type of claim you are reporting. Typically, we suggest you provide the following:

  • Your contact information
  • The name and contact information of any other involved parties
  • Your policy info (if available)
  • The type of loss you are reporting (auto, property, liability, etc.)
  • The date the incident occurred
  • A description of the loss and damages 
  • A description of any injuries

Remember, the sooner you call Travelers Canada to report your loss, the sooner we can help you.

I don't have all the information needed to report my claim. What should I do?
You should report your claim to Travelers Canada as soon as possible, even if you don't have all the necessary information. The faster you do so, the sooner we can start assisting you. Your claims adjuster will be contacting you throughout the claim process, so you will always have the opportunity to update information.

How do I know if I'm covered?
Your policy contains the details of the coverage available to you. If you have any questions regarding the impact of the claim on your policy or coverage, your broker is there to help. We are happy to address any other claim related issues.

What happens after I report my claim?
Shortly after reporting your loss, a Travelers Canada adjuster will call you to discuss what will happen next and what your insurance policy covers. He or she will also answer any questions you have.

What if I need a rental car?
While your vehicle is out of service as a result of a covered loss, and if you have purchased Loss of Use coverage, you may be entitled to rent a similar replacement vehicle. If your vehicle is not drivable, in some cases coverage starts immediately. However, if your vehicle is drivable, coverage is more likely to begin when repairs are started. Your claim adjuster will be able to provide you with information as it relates to your specific situation.

The amount you can spend on a rental car depends on the time required to repair the vehicle and on your coverage. If you do not have Loss of Use coverage we may still be able to arrange for replacement transportation depending on who is responsible for the accident and other factors. It is best if you discuss all rental issues with us directly.

How long will it take to settle my claim?
Every loss is different, so the length of time needed to settle a claim varies. The time it takes to inspect the damages and investigate the claim will determine the time needed to settle your claim. Your Travelers Canada adjuster will help you through each step of the process and answer any questions you have about your claim.

What coverage does my car insurance have?
In general, auto policies include these coverages to certain limits:

  • Liability - to cover claims made against you by other people when you are at fault
  • Accident Benefits - to cover some of your medical expenses, income loss, etc. (regardless of fault) for protected parties, when you are injured as a driver or passenger
  • Uninsured Motorist - to cover damage caused by an identified but uninsured driver

Depending on the province or territory you live in, there may be optional coverages available to you. We strongly recommend that you ask your broker about optional coverages and their limits, to ensure you are adequately covered.

What's covered in a property policy?
Property policies separate losses into various types, each with its own conditions and limitations.

  • Personal Property - Most of the contents of your home, from your clothes to linens to electronics, are considered Personal Property.
  • Real Property - Buildings and land are considered Real Property. A fire in your home can damage both the structure (Real Property) and the contents of the home (Personal Property).
  • Liability - Your responsibility to other people when they suffer loss or injury due to your negligence.

The amount of coverage available depends on the type of policy, the insurance purchased and the nature of the loss. Please consult your policy or your broker for details.

What's a deductible?
Insurance is designed to protect people from losses they cannot afford. Adjusting many very small losses would be very expensive and would unnecessarily increase premiums. Therefore, when you buy a policy, you agree to pay the first portion of any loss. For example, if your deductible is $500 and your total covered claim is $2,000, we would pay you $1,500. For claims against your vehicle, depending on your policy, your degree of responsibility and the province within which you have the accident, the deductible may not apply.

What does the term "subrogation" mean?
Subrogation is a process in which Travelers Canada seeks to recover funds on your behalf from the party responsible for the loss. Subrogation assigns blame where it belongs and ensures responsible parties are held accountable for their actions. Consider why your loss happened. We will be evaluating this information when reviewing the facts of your loss. It is this philosophy that allows us to recover payment from parties responsible for our customers' losses.

Have a claim?

Our claim specialist are ready to help.

Report your claim >

Need repairs to your home or vehicle?

To make the claim process
as easy as possible,
Travelers Canada is able to
recommend a vendor for you.

Learn more >